ROAD WORK

Colorado River, Parker Strip
Need some desert time, down time, get-my-mojo-on-time.  Back to school in a month, big time school, writing MFA program time. I'm going to be one cranking dude on the keyboard.
One of my favorite getaways is the Colorado River.  Laughlin, Bullhead City, Parker, Parker Strip, Havasu.  Needles?  Not so much.  
Canyon De Chelly




I've got a story brewing that takes place in part along the Grand Canyon and that's all I'm going to say, so it's a good reason to get some fall camping in out there. North Rim, or East Rim.  Either way, on up to Moab maybe, Chinle, Durango.  I can feel a road trip coming on.
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite




Couple of weeks ago I was up in Yosemite for only a day.  The high country.  Gorgeous isn't the word.  Spectacular grandeur. Up on Tioga Pass Road, Lake Tenaya sparkled with deep blue water and steep granite scarred with centuries of glacier scraping.  Tall timber towered over a small sandy beach, the granite faces rising above.  Warm, clear, transcendent.  


Mojave National Preserve
Other roads close by that I like; Kelbaker Road in the Mojave Preserve, Route 66 just about anywhere, and for a few days of absolute silence, Canyonlands National Park and the scrappy town of Moab, Utah.  I'll get there.  Give me a few days, a camera, some boots and supplies, I'll be off.  Then back to writing.
Needles, CA.








I'm getting some decent writing in these past few weeks.  I'm pleased with what's coming out on this rough first draft.  Get the story down, get it out, see what it can do.
Canyonlands National Park, Utah

Comments

Timecheck said…
If your pleased, that's a very good sign. I think overwhelming fear of being found lacking is a more common emotion of writers.
kurt taylor said…
T-Check, oh I have those fears. I try to be non-judgmental about first draft, otherwise I'd quit.
Timecheck said…
Absolutely keep going. There are a lot of niches out there, and it takes a while for your audience to find you. What I find interesting is that things that were totally out of my scope of interest on first read, I now find engrossing.

Popular posts from this blog

AMERICAN MOTORS RIDES AGAIN

Musso and Frank Grill

HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD